As usual, Santa’s workshop has been very busy for the past few months. These are a few of the things I made for Christmas this year.
It pays to have friends who are insanely talented. Case in point… I took a picture at this years DragonCon that I was really pleased with. The lighting hit just right and I got a great shot. My only problem was a few stray people in the shot. I posted it on FaceBook with a lament that I wish I could get rid of the people.
Enter the insanely talented Amanda McKenzie. She performed some kind of crazy magic and removed all of the people. Mad Skillz… She has them. Also possibly some kind of Dorian Grey thing going on…
Added a new section to the closet modifications. One step closer to being rid of the evil white wire rack shelves. The bottom section will get doors put on it. Then I get to switch over to the other side of the closet.
This provides a good bit of space for king sized comforters and my oversized suitcase.
Built with a single sheet of 4 by 8 baltic Birch Plywood and a bit of poplar for banding the edges. Cat approved! This is the first step of the closet renovation to hopefully remove all of those white metal racks and replace them with some nice wood. I added some canvas drawers for color and they turned out very nicely.
Playing around with a sphere turning jig from the folks at ChefWare Kits. I like it a lot so far. There is a bit more play in it than I expected, but I think once I get used to the setup, I will be able to cut down on some of that.
The spheres are much more consistent. It’s not really quicker, but all things considered, I like it. I even tried my first spherical box. I have discovered that a friction fit lid on a spherical box is not really the best idea… it has to be pried loose.
Live and learn.
Next up, I need to try a saturn shaped box. 🙂
This is a chest for tools and small pieces of wood, done in red oak and oak plywood. I was not terribly thrilled by the quality of the oak plywood. The veneer was very thin and tended to split along the edges.
However, all things considered, it’s not too shabby for shop furniture. It has me thinking I want to tackle something big like an armoire or a nice chest of drawers. Just need to remember better quality plywood for the case.
Not sure I ever posted these. The vase is spalted maple. This stuff was wonderful to turn a polished up to a beautiful finish. I was very pleased and it made a lovely gift.
The tiny boxes are in leftover scraps of cherry wood. I have enough to make about a dozen more. Not sure what I will put in them, but they are fun to make.
Finally got started on the right side builtin for the living room. I got the case together about two weeks ago and the top assembled the week after that. The install and glue up went pretty smoothly. Now I just need to add the shelves on the right side. Then I can finally get all of my glassware out of boxes. It’s been almost two years since I have seen some of it.
Then I think it is time to make beer and throw a party!
I had forgotten to post these up recently. This is a small bowl in Tulip Poplar and a larger bowl in Cherry Burl (a gift to a friend).
I have a few more pieces of the burl and I really want to work some more with it.
It’s a nice first draft and I think it’s given me a few other ideas to play with. An idea generated from a discussion at the AAW conference about the lost wood process. It lets you turn an oval shaped object on the lathe which is pretty cool.